Kueh lapis or 'layer cake' is one of our popular local dessert. Children loves to eat this by pealing it layer by layer.
50g rice flour (1/4 cup rice flour)
180g tapioca flour (3/4 cup tapioca flour)
480g coconut milk (2 cups coconut milk)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla essence
Boil to make the syrup:
1 cup sugar (reduce it if you dont like it sweet)
3/4 cup water
4-5 pcs pandan leaves - tie into knot
1. Combine all the ingredients including the syrup in a bowl and mixed well.
2. Sieve using the strainer to ensure it's smooth
3. Divide into 2, Add red coloring in 1 portion and leave the other as white
4. Heat-up steamer, put in the tray in it, use ladle to pour a single scoop of white mixture and cover the steamer. Steam for 5 mins.
5. Pour the same amount of red mixture on top of the white layer. Steam for 5 mins.
6. Repeat this layers until finish, steam for 10 mins and remove from steamer
7. Leave it cool before cutting to serve